Near my school there is an abandoned mental hospital complex. I went to check it out with my boyfriend and it was really cool. I am always interested in poking around abandoned structures - they are fascinating.
Long Weekend in Vermont
I had a lovely, lovely long weekend the past few days. I drove up to Vermont with a group of friends and stayed in one friend’s family cabin. It has been a relaxing weekend of swimming, reading, relaxing, and bonfires. The cabin was cozy, the weather was excellent, and the lake was refreshing to swim in.
We found this cat puzzle in one of the rooms and our host, Brian, told us that the puzzle was awful and impossible to complete, and that every year he would take it out thinking, “It wasn’t THAT bad!” and try it again. He always managed to finish it but not without great difficulty. So we took it out and tried it and it was, in fact, very difficult. All the pieces are either seafoam green, or cat hair!
We were also visited by an actual cat, a neighbor’s pet named Oliver:
Having a bit of a vacation was so refreshing! Now…back to working and classes. Boo!
A Pretty Day on Campus
I took a walk around campus with my boyfriend on Friday because it was such a beautiful day.
My 2012 Summer Essentials
Quick list of what I love for this summer!
- I bought a badminton set for cheap at Ocean State Job Lot and I’m so glad I did! It came with a net, four rackets, and a few birdies. I used it this week for the first time and had a great time - my boyfriend and I did a best two out of three tournament (I won!).
- Fresh fruit to make smoothies. Some good combinations are mango and peach; strawberries and bananas; chocolate milk with bananas; kiwi and strawberry; peanut butter and banana; strawberry and blueberry; and papaya with kiwi.
- A big floppy hat for reading on the beach, laying in the sun, or any kind of relaxing and sunny activities. It will protect your scalp (scalp sunburn is the worst!) and eyes and looks very glamorous.
- Sandals with an ankle strap look much more put-together than flip flops and also protect your feet. Flip flops are not that great for your feet; in fact, they hardly qualify as shoes. An ankle strap can keep your foot from slipping withing the shoe and from foot strain.
- I am planning on doing some guerilla gardening this summer with wildflower seed mix. Seed mix is really cheap and can just be sprinkled on bare soil in a not-so-pretty location that needs some sprucing up.