My First Knitted Item
I knitted something! It’s a scarf! It’s done! FINALLY!
It’s not perfect - it’s got a few issues here and there - but I am pretty proud of it for being my first knitting project! Now I am working on a blue and brown scarf for my boyfriend with two different knit stitches. I’ve already got like six inches of scarf!
I went on a day trip to Northampton, MA and got a few cute photos I wanted to share. I’d have gotten more but as I mentioned yesterday, I’m awaiting a new camera in the mail and have been having my boyfriend take photos on his iphone for me - so these three will have to do!
This was a cool pop-art storefront we saw!
And THIS is the first yarn-bomb I’ve ever seen in real life! I was so excited when I saw it!
Keeping Warm and Cute in the Winter
I’m sure I posted something similar to this a year or so back, but it’s now in the depths of the archive! So, I’ll write a nice updated one for you lovely readers.
I suffer from chronic coldness. Just kidding, I just hate the winter - namely, the temperature. And when frozen precipitation falls from the sky. It’s just not my favorite time of year, because I get cold really easily.
Luckily I have a highly developed defense system against the cold. I am excellent at dressing for it while still looking as fabulous as usual.
- Legwear - if I’m wearing a dress, I wear boots and thick stockings; if I’m wearing pants, I wear knee socks under them. This way, I am marvelously warm. Sometimes, if I’m wearing stockings and boots, I’ll wear socks over my stockings and under my boots to keep me extra warm. I got my boots from Aerosoles and they are pretty good quality, and I have a few pair of fleece-lined tights as well which are amazingly warm.
- Outerwear - I have a few coats with varying degrees of warmth - my warmest has faux-fur trim, is 100% wool coating, and is lined with flannel. With this, I wear the fluffiest scarf I could purchase, a pair of knitted mittens (which happen to be shaped like kitties), and a hat (beret if it’s warmer, earflap hat if it’s chillier).
- I usually have a cardigan on over whatever outfit I’m wearing. It adds and extra layer of warmth, and is surprisingly effective when worn under a coat. I’ll also wear a slip under a dress, because it does add a bit of warmth since it’s an additional layer. Wearing enough layers does wonders.
Those should pretty much cover it, in my opinion. Being warm does not have to involve Ugg boots and a Northface. And you can feel confident to leave bed and be warm, unlike this little kitty:
That was actually just an excuse to post a picture of a kitty.
My Year In Review!
- I donated blood for the first time! I’ve donated twice (I’ve attempted three other times but got rejected for having a high heart rate…I get kind of nervous, unfortunately!)
- I made a dress out of a 1952 dress pattern entirely on a treadle machine (which I had to make repairs on before using it) for my senior Capstone project in high school. It was an interesting process and I really like the dress - but I don’t think I’ll be sewing on anything but a modern electric machine ever again! It was kind of finicky.